Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Canine 10 Commandments

My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that when you buy me.

Give me time to understand what you want of me.

Place your trust in me - it's crucial for my wellbeing.

Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I have only you.

Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.

Be aware, however you treat me, I'll never forget.

Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but that I choose not to bite you.

Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, or I've been out in the sun or in the cold too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.

Take care of me when I get old. You too, will grow old someday.

Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say: "I can't bear to watch it", "Let it happen in my absence" or "I am tired of you". Everything is easier for me if you are there.

Remember I Love You.

1 comment:

James C Morton said...

Gosh, this made me cry!